Mascarpone & Vanilla Tart with Strawberries & Blueberries
Mascarpone & Vanilla Tart with Strawberries & Blueberries- serves 8-10
225g plain white flour
100g cold butter, diced
50g icing sugar
1 medium egg
1 tablespoon (15ml) cold water
500g mascarpone cheese
200ml double cream
100g icing sugar, sieved
4 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
300g strawberries, sliced in half
9 inch / 23cm loose bottomed fluted edge tart tin, baking paper and baking beans
- To make the pastry put the flour and butter into a large bowl. Then rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the icing sugar. Then add the egg and the water and using your hands bring it together until it forms a ball of pastry. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C / gas mark 5. (170 degrees for fan ovens)
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out on a floured work surface. Carefully lift onto your tin.
- Cover the pastry with a square of baking paper. Pour on the baking beans and spread so that they are in an even layer. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Then remove from the oven, take away the paper and beans and place back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin. Once cool trim the edges with a serrated knife.
- Meanwhile make the filling. In a bowl mix together the mascarpone and cream until just combined.
- Add the icing sugar and the vanilla bean paste and mix again.
- Spread this onto the pastry shell and top with sliced strawberries and blueberries.
- Sit the tart onto a small upside down bowl and gently remove the sides of the tin and then slip the tart onto your serving plate or cake stand.