I always turn to a dish like this when the weather turns cold. Its nutritious, warming and very satisfying. Plus I tend to have most of the ingredients in the house. Any vegetables can be used and any bean or pulse. The 4 of us love black olives so I always have a few jars hanging around but they can be left out. If you come to my cooking classes you will know I love pastes like Harissa and Chipotle but they can be replaced also with something spicy preferably like fresh chillies, chilli powder, cayenne etc.
1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
500g carrots, peeled and sliced
500g potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons harissa or chipotle paste
1 tin chopped tomatoes
500ml vegetable stock
2 tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 jar black olives, drained
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Parsley to garnish (optional)
Rice to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion and sweat for 5-6 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Add the garlic, carrots and potatoes and stir.
- Add the harissa or chipotle paste, tin of tomatoes and stock.
- Season with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Simmer until the potatoes and carrots are soft. Add a splash of boiling water if its gets too dry looking.
- Add the chickpeas and olives and heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and serve with a sprinkling of parsley and some rice.
- Enjoy xx