Mothers Day Biscuits – makes about 40 biscuits depending on size of cutters used
200g butter, at room temperature
230g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
500g plain white flour
Required: baking parchment paper
Roll out icing
Icing colour – Red, Purple, Blue, Yellow, Green
Letter cookie cutters plus other shapes which are optional e.g. circles / butterflies / hearts
Edible glue to stick
Sugar decorations and Icing tools (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (170 degrees C for fan oven) / 375 degrees F.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric whisk until combined.
- Add one egg and beat. Then add the second egg and the vanilla extract and beat again.
- Finally beat in the flour at a low speed to mix. Once mixed form into a ball of dough with your hands.
- Put the ball of dough onto a work surface that you have dusted with flour.
- Roll out the dough to approximately ½ cm thick.
- Cut out shapes using the cookie cutters.
- Lift carefully onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray.
- Divide the Roll out icing into 6 pieces and knead until it softens.
- To colour the icing put a small amount of colour onto the white icing and knead it in until it is well combined. (You should wear gloves when doing this!) Add more colour if necessary.
- Colour one piece pink using a small amount of red colour. Colour another piece purple, another piece blue, another piece yellow and finally another piece green. Leave the final piece white.
- Dust your work surface with icing sugar.
- Roll the icing out to a thin layer and cut out the same shapes that you used for the biscuits.
- Put a few dots of edible glue onto the biscuit. Lift the icing off the work surface very carefully and place on top of the biscuit.
- Decorate as you wish. I have used different cutters plus a stitching tool and silver and pearl balls.