Halloween Biscuits – makes about 20 depending on size of cutters used
100g butter, at room temperature
115g caster sugar
1 medium egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
250g plain white flour
Roll out icing – white, orange & black
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (170 degrees C for fan oven) / 375 degrees F.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric whisk until combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat again.
- Finally beat in the flour at a low speed to mix. Once mixed form into a ball of dough with your hands.
- Put the ball of dough onto a work surface that you have dusted with flour.
- Roll out the dough to approximately ½ cm thick.
- Cut out shapes using Halloween cookie cutters.
- Lift carefully onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray.
- Knead the roll out icing until it softens.
- Dust your work surface with icing sugar.
- Roll the icing out to a thin layer and cut out the same shapes you used for the biscuits. White for ghosts, black for bats, orange for pumpkins etc.
- Lift off the work surface carefully. Put a few tiny dots of water on the back and then stick onto your cookies.
- Use the black and white icing to make eyeballs, mummies, spiders etc.